1. Alternative academic Calendar By KVS RO Jabalpur
2. Alternative academic Calendar By KVS RO Jabalpur
Chapter-I: CHEMICAL REACTIONS AND EQUATIONS
- Balanced chemical equation
- implications of a balanced chemical equation
- types of chemical reactions: combination, decomposition
- displacement, double displacement, precipitation, neutralization, oxidation and reduction.
Chapter-2 ACIDS BASES AND SALTS
- Their definitions in terms of furnishing of H+ and OH– ions, 2. 2. General properties, examples and uses
- concept of pH scale (Definition relating to logarithm not required)
- importance of pH in everyday life
- preparation and uses of Sodium Hydroxide, Bleaching powder, Baking soda, Washing soda and Plaster of Paris.
Chapter-3 METALS AND NONMETALS
- PropPerties of metals and non-metals
- Reactivity series
- Formation and properties of ionic compounds
- Basic metallurgical processes
- Corrosion and its prevention.
Chapter-4 CARBON AND ITS COMPOUNDS
- Covalent bonding in carbon compounds
- Versatile nature of carbon.
- Homologous series
- Nomenclature of carbon compounds containing functional groups (halogens, alcohol, ketones, aldehydes, alkanes and alkynes)
- difference between saturated hydro carbons and unsaturated hydrocarbons
- Chemical properties of carbon compounds (combustion, oxidation, addition and substitution reaction).
- Ethanol and Ethanoic acid (only properties and uses),
- Soaps and detergents.
Chapter – 5 PERIODIC CLASSIFICATION OF ELEMENTS
- Need for classification
- early attempts at classification of elements (Dobereiner’s Triads, Newland’s Law of Octaves,Mendeleev’s Periodic Table),
- Modern periodic table
- gradation in properties,
- atomic number
- metallic and non-metallic properties.
Chapter -6 LIFE PROCPROCESS
Concept of Living Being’
- Basic concept of life process
- Nutrition in amoeba
- Nutrition in humans
- Structure and functioning of heart
- excretion in plants and animals.
- Structure of urinary system and nephron
Chapter-7 CONTROL AND COORDINATION
- Tropic movements in plants;
- Introduction of plant hormones;
- Control and co-ordination in animals:
- Nervous system; Voluntary, involuntary
- reflex action;
- Chemical co-ordination:
- animal hormones.
Chapter -8 HOW DO ORGANISMS REPRODUCE
- Concept of reproduction
- Methods of reproduction-sexual and asexual
- Various types of asexual reproduction
- Reproduction in plants (asexual and sexual)
- Reproduction in humans
- Male reproduction system
- Female reproductive system
- Reproductive health
- Need and methods of family planning.
- Child bearing and women’s health.
Chapter- 9 HEREDITY AND EVOLUTION
- Mendel’s contribution- Laws for inheritance of traits
- Sex determination: brief introduction
- Basic concepts of evolution.
- Acquired and inherited traits
- Darwin’s theory of evolution
- Evidences of evolution
Chapter-10 LIGHT REFLECTION AND REFRACTION
- Reflection of light by curved surfaces;
- Images formed by spherical mirrors,
- centre of curvature, principal axis, principal focus, focal length,
- mirror formula (Derivation not required),
- Laws of refraction,
- refractive index.
- Refraction of light by spherical lens;
- Image formed by spherical lenses;
- Lens formula (Derivation not required)
- Power of a lens.
Chapter -11 HUMAN EYE AND COLOURFUL WORLD
- Functioning of a lens in human eye,
- defects of vision and their corrections,
- applications of spherical mirrors and lenses.
- Refraction of light through a prism,
- dispersion of light,
- scattering of light,
- applications in daily life.
- Electric current
- potential difference and electric current.
- Ohm’s law
- Factors on which the resistance of a conductor depends.
- Series combination of resistors
- Parallel combination of resistors and its applications in daily life.
- Heating effect of electric
- Current and its applications in daily life.
- Electric power,
- Interrelation between P, V, I and R.
Chapter -13 MAGNETIC EFFECTS OF CURRENT
- Magnetic field
- Magnetic field lines
- field due to a current carrying conductor
- field due to current carrying coil or solenoid
- Force on current carrying conductor,
- Fleming’s Left Hand Rule,
- Electric Motor,
- Electromagnetic induction.
- Induced potential difference,
- Induced current.
- Fleming’s Right Hand Rule,
- Electric Generator,
- Direct current.
- Alternating current
- frequency of AC.
- Advantage of AC over DC.
- Domestic electric circuits.
Chapter -14 SOURCES OF ENERGY
- Features of a good source of energy
- Different forms of energy
- Conventional and non-conventional sources of energy:
- Fossil fuels
- solar energy
- wind, water and tidal energy;
- Nuclear energy.
- Renewable versus non-renewable sources of Energy.
Chapter-15 OUR ENVIRONMENT
- Food chain and Food Web
- Environmental problems,
- Ozone depletion,
- waste production and their solutions.
- Biodegradable and non-biodegradable substances.
Chapter -16 MANAGEMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES
- Conservation and judicious use of natural resources.
- Forest and wild life
- Coal and Petroleum conservation
- Examples of people’s participation for conservation of natural resources.
- Big dams: advantages and limitations
- Alternatives, if any.
- Water harvesting
- Sustainability of natural resources